From: Bobby Cox, IHSAA Commissioner
As preparations are being made to participate in the IHSAA boys’ basketball tournament series, the Association wants to remind you of our expectations of exemplary sportsmanship during tournament play.
The highest level of proper sportsmanship must be exhibited throughout the IHSAA Boys’ Basketball Tournament Series.
We share a collective responsibility to serve as leaders and role models for our young people and insure the most positive education based athletic experience is acquired by all stakeholders. The IHSAA staff encourages you to insure that our sportsmanship messaging is included on all publications and distributed to patrons upon entrance into your sectional venue. You have been provide a document to be used on the back of your program which includes the following important sportsmanship requests:
Sportsmanship Expectations: We ask the following be reflected toward the competitors, the IHSAA assigned officials, coaches, tournament administrators, and spectators:
- Treat everyone with the utmost respect regardless of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
- Promote a welcoming environment by avoiding hostility toward opponents and their fans.
- Refrain from the use of profanity and vulgarities at all events.
- Respect all facilities and every person that contributes to the production of athletic contests by refraining from throwing objects onto the field or court and/or leaving objects in the stands.
- Create the loudest and most positive atmosphere possible when attending interscholastic events while maintaining full support for your school and their student athletes.
Please accept our best wishes for a successful and memorable championship experience.